Monday, September 6, 2021

Sorrow and Joy

 September 6, 2021

“Those who sow in tears 

Shall reap in joy. 

He who continually goes forth weeping, 

Bearing seed for sowing, 

Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, 

Bringing his sheaves with him.”

—Psalm 126:5-6 


It’s easy to give thanks when everything is going the way we want it to go. It’s somewhat more difficult when the clouds obscure the sun. The sun has shone brightly upon Linda and me for most of our lives, but we look around us at friends who are struggling with serious health or relationship issues, at those suffering deprivation and oppression, and feel weighted down with sorrow for them. This world is as the ancients said, “a vale of tears,” and sorrow is a constant companion of many.


I’ve not always handled these matters well. For years, I struggled with melancholy that only began to loose it’s grip on my soul when I began giving thanks, no matter what. I’ve learned that if I am to avoid being swallowed up in a black hole of despair, it is imperative for me to begin my day with praise and worship, with the reading of the Scriptures and prayer. Only by keeping my attention riveted upon Christ can I maintain the perspective I need to be productive. I must choose each day to do this, or the darkness begins to creep in around the edges of my soul. 


So whether or not I feel it, I choose to give thanks, to praise, and to worship. The Scriptures assure me that despite what I may see all around me, having risen from the dead, Christ is victor, seated at the right hand of the Father, from whence he shall someday come in final victory over sin and evil. This is my hope and salvation; I may sow in tears, but someday, I shall harvest in joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment