Friday, May 14, 2021

Petra

 May 14, 2021

Driving home from picking up a load of mulch for Linda’s gardens, I drove through time today. Petra, a Christian rock band that hit its peak of popularity in the ‘80s was playing from my iphone, and as I drove, I nearly wept from the power of the music and lyrics. Listening to them soon after moving to Sinclairville in 1981, I remember being moved by the driving guitars and rising vocals of Greg X Volz. Today it was “Let Everything That Hath Breath,” and “More Power to Ya” that stirred my soul. I don’t often get emotional, but this was heavenly, and I worshipped as I drove, giving thanks to the Father for his great love and mercy. 


One of the things about this band is not just their longevity, but their genuine passion for evangelism. Christian musical groups are often like fireworks; they rocket into the sky, burst with a bang and cascades of light, then just as quickly burn out as they fall back to earth. Petra has gone through some changes in vocalists, instrumentalists, and producers, but have continued to remain faithful to the Gospel not only in the music, but in the lives of its members. That is a rarity that bespeaks the quality of these men. Additionally, much of their music, while honed to perfection, is still very much within the reach of a decent worship team in a local church, which is why I am hoping ours might be willing to give one or two of their songs a try. They’ve been around long enough to withstand the test of time, and though nearly forty years old, still have the power to move this unemotional former pastor to heartfelt worship and praise. I am very grateful tonight to the Holy Spirit for moving through this music to draw me close this afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment