Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Fatih, Futility, and Fear

 May 19, 2021

“In spite of this they still sinned, And did not believe in His wondrous works. Therefore their days He consumed in futility, And their years in fear.” —Psalm 78:32-33 


The children of Israel were miraculously delivered from slavery in Egypt, but kept forgetting their salvation. Their deliverance had become mere academic history to them instead of a living reality that was the basis of their present life, much in the same way that we in America have abandoned our history and are as a result, a nation adrift. And what is true of nations is also often true of individuals.


When I fail to remember and trust in God’s wondrous works, I too will live in futility and fear. In fact, it is not accidental or incidental—the Scripture says God is the One behind it all. We’re seeing a lot of futility and fear these days. The word used to describe the result of forgetting our deliverance is “consumed.” Our days and years become like fuel to the fire of futility and fear, and once those days and years are gone, they cannot be reclaimed. When we forget God’s salvation, when we allow it to become mere story on the level of ancient history, or worse, fairy tale, instead of the living foundation for life, day to day futility is the inevitable result, which ends up in fear because we can see no purpose, and if there is no purpose, all bets are off; anything goes. Life becomes chaotic. On the other hand, faith foils fear and frustration, but that faith must be strengthened and encouraged, which is why the psalm begins with these words:


“I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old, Which we have heard and known, And our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, Telling to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.” (verses 2-4)


When I fail to look back in faith to my deliverance through the cross of Christ, I will inevitably fall victim to fear of the future and frustration with the present as I instead lean on my own futile efforts for deliverance and meaning. It is imperative that I look to the cross in faith, and not as a mere academic exercise. The question life continually asks of me is, “Will you believe that God actually did something at the cross that has a continuing effect on you today?” 


Often Lord, my immediate feelings and failures get in the way of a faithful response to your mercy and grace. “I do believe; help Thou my unbelief.”


No comments:

Post a Comment