Friday, July 19, 2019

Change of Plans

July 19, 2019

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. The morning was invested in our grandson’s basketball camp finals, followed by a quick visit to the watch repairman to pick up my father’s watch and a great uncle’s antique pocket watch, then lunch with my wife at her favorite restaurant, and a quick run into Walmart. It’s beastly hot outside, so coming home to a house that’s naturally cool without air conditioning was a treat. The plan was to varnish the stairwell cabinets before the grandkids came over for the night, but when I opened my varnish, I discovered it had all gelled. Original plans out the door, so new ones have to be devised. Writing the day’s reflections earlier than usual offers the benefit of spending time with Nathan and Gemma (the only two grandkids who aren’t on vacation or at camp) without interruption or distraction. 

For someone who regards ordinary with almost rapturous delight, a change of plans can be a bit distressing, but I’ve learned that there is no sense fretting about things we cannot change. Years ago, I was told that there are problems to be solved, and situations to be endured. Wisdom is knowing which is which. Too often, we waste the precious gift of time fretting over situations we cannot change, which saps the energy needed for changing those matters within our power. Alongside that, Linda once brought me up short when an evening I had all planned out fell apart, and so did I. “Don’t throw away what you can have on account of that part you can’t have,” she wisely told me. I don’t remember how well I received it then, but I know how well I remember it today. 


So I will adjust, and the evening will be better and I will be thankful because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment