Monday, August 6, 2018

Rest


August 6, 2018

Pediatric occupational therapist Angela Hanscom has authored a number of articles discussing how academic pressure is driving the decline of physical play and the detrimental consequences for children. Pre-schoolers especially need physical activity for neurological development, but it is being systematically eliminated from public education, resulting in more and more children with ADHD and other disorders that we treat primarily with medication. According to her, many of the behavioral problems we see in children that we treat medicinally, would respond better by simply letting children play freely. 

Unfortunately, in the increasingly structured world we insist on imposing upon children, the kind of play they need is often deemed dangerous or too aggressive, and eliminated from the curriculum. The problem is particularly acute with little boys, who are generally wired for physical activity, and who tend to wilt when we insist they sit quietly in rows. They fidget and squirm not because they’re bad, but because their bodies need to move. 

Hanscom especially advocates outdoor play. Reflecting upon her work, I suspect not a few of us adults could profit from her prescription. My day began with a physical workout, but the entire rest of the day was sedentary, first in the office, then home to read and study before supper and our men’s Bible study this evening. The entire day I felt restless and ill at ease. When I got home tonight, I let our dog out, and decided to walk the perimeter of our yard in the deepening darkness. I needed that time of solitude to allow space for my soul to breathe. 

Years ago, I would take my sons canoeing in Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada. Most of the  lakes and rivers we traversed were off limits to power boats. It was far enough north that the lights of Toronto couldn’t reach us, and the stars seemed to literally pop out of the sky at night. Occasionally, we would be treated to a display of the Northern Lights dancing across the night sky in shimmering curtains while we listened to the lonely call of the loons echoing across the water. To this day, when I am able to get away from civilized life even for a few hours, I call it my Algonquin peace. 


God gave us the Fourth Commandment not to burden us, but to build us. I fear that too often Christians especially, act as if this commandment doesn’t apply to us, and that if we don’t cram one more thing into our schedules we are somehow being unfaithful and poor stewards of our time. “The devil doesn’t take a day off, so why should we?” I once heard this argument as a reason for unceasing work. But since when is the devil our example for how to live? I’ve been pretty busy lately, and have felt the pressure of that busyness. Tonight’s walk around the yard was but a teaser for what I really need. I am thankful that I have the wisdom of Scripture to lean on and push me in the direction I need to go. Without it, I would just keep motoring on. I think instead, I’ll make the time to feed my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment