Thursday, August 9, 2018

August 9, 2018

It’s not quite the same, but it’ll do. Stretching for five miles along the Havana harbor, the seawall named the Malecon not only protects the waterfront, it is a favorite gathering place for old friends and young lovers. Dunkirk’s seawall is only a mile long, but in the evening lights, the same mellow glow reflects off the lake as the ocean. Last May when I was in Havana, the mystique of the Malecon tugged at my heart. 

It had been quite awhile since I had written any songs, but seeing that seawall again, a Latin rhythm began to pulse inside me. That evening, lyrics started to flow. When melody and lyrics come together, it is like a gift from God. This one was for Linda. 


Tonight, Linda and I enjoyed coffee and ice cream together, courtesy of Dunkirk’s Tim Horton’s. Then hand in hand, we walked our own Malecon, talking as only lovers do, about things both consequential and innocuous. It’s not quite Cuba, but she is by my side, which makes it better. Someday, we’ll walk the genuine article. That will be best of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment