Saturday, April 21, 2018

A Quiver Full

April 21, 2018

Long conversations with one’s adult children don’t often happen. Even when we live as nearby as we do to all three of our kids, they are busy with making a living and raising their own children. We talk often, but only occasionally deeply. Today I had the privilege of going deep. I wanted to see my mother after two weeks out of the country, and our son Nathan was taking his daughter Abi to Roberts Wesleyan College for a pre-registration or something. Since the college is just down the road from my mother, we rode together.

We talked about what God is doing in our lives, his work, raising children, my recent mission trip, and life. At one point, I mentioned that there have been times when it’s been a challenge to watch how they raise their girls and not want to jump in because they handled things differently than we would have. I told him that the day would come when he understands what I mean. I’m glad however, that we didn’t interfere, as tempting as it sometimes has been. Nate and Deb have done a good job with their daughters, who have grown up to be wonderful young women who love the Lord and are making good choices in life. 

Linda and I are often in amazement at the family God has given us. We did our best in raising our kids, but we’ve made our share of mistakes. If we did anything right, it was in our commitment to honor Christ and each other, no matter what. I think all three of our kids saw that, and as we watch them raising their children to love Christ and respect one another, we feel as if we are reaping a harvest far more bountiful than we have sown. Not only Nate and Deb, but Todd and Jess, and Matt and Jeanine, have filled our lives and hearts with treasure upon treasure in the way they are raising their children.


Years ago, people in the church asked if we would teach classes on raising children. We declined because we felt we weren’t out of the woods yet. We are now, and I’d feel more comfortable with it than I used to. Even now however, there are so many variables in temperament, life circumstances, and such, that I’d be pretty cautious, but tonight, I am feeling very blessed for the family God has given us. I’d be remiss if I failed to mention the woman in my life without whom it never would have happened, not only because she is their mother, but because of the kind of mother she is. Linda’s steady faithfulness, tender heart, and unwavering commitment to truth and doing what is right, and her patient listening to the kids through the years has been the glue that has held us together through good times and bad. I am blessed far more than I deserve, and am deeply grateful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment