Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Give it Away


October 11, 2017

While working out this morning, I had T.D. Jakes on tv via the Youtube channel through Apple TV. If you have no idea what that sentence means, it’s OK; it just means that you are even less tech savvy than I am. Anyway, T.D. Jakes in the morning is a much better way to start the day than listening to the news, and I don’t actually have to see him to build my soul while I’m building my body.

If you’ve never listened to T.D. Jakes, you’re missing a real treat. That man can PREACH! In this morning’s sermon, he talked about giving. Quoting Malachi 3:10, he reminded us that God promises a blessing to those who tithe and give generously. He then said something I had never considered before. “When we’re poor, we give to have the blessing. When we’re rich, we give so the blessing doesn’t have us.” I have to chew on that for awhile, but I understand where he’s coming from. There was a time when we were barely making it financially, but we never missed our tithe. I’m not bragging; it’s how we were raised. I’ve talked incredulously with pastors who don’t tithe; how can they speak with integrity when they are clearly disobedient in this basic Christian discipline? I suspect that in many cases, it’s why their churches are failing.

Linda and I are at a point in our lives now where God’s blessing is overflowing. We aren’t rich by our society’s measurement, but we have all we need, and more. There is no way to explain it other than God honors those who even imperfectly, try to honor him. The second sentence of Jakes’ declaration is what is grabbing at my heart tonight. I give now so the blessing doesn’t have me. If I stop giving, or even if I fail to give proportionately to his blessing on me, the very things God has given can become a trap, holding me in a grip that is deadly tight. God is not afraid to bless those he can trust with wealth, but those folks are few in number. It is too easy for the stuff God has given to have such a grip on our hearts that we are unable to hear and follow the voice of the Master.

Years ago I heard a story about a wealthy man who lost his fortune in the Crash of 1929. He had been known for his generosity in giving to various charities and needy individuals. When asked if he regretted having given so much away that he had no cushion to carry him through, his response was, “What I gave away, I still have; what I kept, I lost forever.” 


Tonight I am thankful for the blessings we have been given, and for the even greater blessing of being able to give much of it away. If the day comes when God takes it all away, I hope I have the grace and wisdom to still praise him. But until then, the best way to show gratitude is to hold the blessings of this life with a gentle grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment