Saturday, October 28, 2017

Different is Good

October 28, 2017

“I haven’t been to church in about thirty years,” he admitted, almost in embarrassment. “Went a little to the Catholic Church when I was a kid, but nothing since then.” He, along with his wife and four kids stood off to one side in the lobby before worship. They looked a bit intimidated by all the hustle and bustle, so I walked over and introduced myself. 

“Well, I’m glad you chose us to try it out again.” I spoke as reassuringly as I could, and was soon joined by Linda, who came over and introduced herself. It was almost time for services to begin. As I walked with them towards the sanctuary, Harry blew the shofar, almost in his ear. He and his family found seats on the left as I took our usual spot two rows from the front on the right. The band started playing “Adonai,” which starts somewhat mellow, but segues into a drum solo and a driving rhythm. After the song, Nate encouraged the congregation to greet one another, as he does every Sunday. I crossed the aisle to shake his hand once more, when he commented, “Well, THAT was different!”


It surely was, and tonight at our church steak fry, he and his family were there. I can’t speak for other churches, but I’m sure it was considerably different from the liturgy he had heard as a kid and walked away from as an adult. But God had never let go of him, and is slowly but surely drawing him back home. Jesus said, “If I be lifted up, I will draw all men to me.” God’s timing can seem slow, but it is sure, and I am waiting with excitement to see his next step, and am grateful for the people who work so hard each week to lead us in worship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment