Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Coming Around

April 25, 2017

"I'll pray for you." Four simple words that took me by surprise. Back when I started having breakfast with my friend Willie, we started patronizing a local diner where, like the Cheers bar, everybody knows your name. This morning I walked in, greeted the guys in the booth streetside to ours and talked for a few minutes with Marilyn and Roy. John, the owner, was bustling around out back while Patty, the morning short order cook and waitress already had my coffee on the table.

Early on, when paying for breakfast one day, I asked Patty if there were anything she would like me to pray for. "My son," she answered. She didn't offer any details and I didn't ask. But I did pray, and occasionally asked how he was doing. He's in college now, and doing OK.

This morning when I paid my bill, I told her about our coming mission trip to Cuba. That's when she uttered those four words to me. I don't know how much of a prayer person she's been, but hearing those words from her made my day. What goes around comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment