Tuesday, November 22, 2022

The Stranger

 November 22, 2022

Our porous southern border is hot news in the political realm these days. Left and Right battle it out, with the Left intoning the Christian gospel, of all things, and the Right insisting that failure to secure the border will bring the downfall of the country. Abbott’s and DeSantis’ bussing of illegals to self-proclaimed sanctuary cities has added an interesting twist to the whole matter, but for those of us not living along the southern border, the issue easily gets murky. 


In Deuteronomy 10:17 we read, “The LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God Almighty and awesome, who shows no partiality nor takes a bribe…who administers justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the stranger…therefore, love the stranger.” The text continues by reminding Israel that they were strangers in Egypt, which should give them a particular sympathy for the stranger in their midst. 


God’s character is clearly stated, and the corollary is that the defining character of anyone who claims to love God is how he treats the stranger. In this context, receiving the stranger is not a governmental responsibility, but a personal one. It never ceases to amaze me how so many people are compassionate with someone else’s resources. We are content to let the government or charitable institutions do our good deeds for us rather than shoulder the responsibility ourselves. 


So I must ask the question: “How do I treat those in my vicinity who are different than me? Am I willing to go out of my way for them? Am I willing to sacrifice my time and energy to help the less fortunate, or do I dismiss them with callous words of indifference?” My treatment of others should shine like a beacon, showing the world what Christ is like; too often I am less compassionate than the unbeliever. The Scripture is both an encouragement and a goad to me. Its message of grace is God’s lifeline to this sinner; but it also shines brightly into the darkened corners of my heart, revealing hidden places still in need of that grace. Today’s text is that searchlight on my soul tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment